Wednesday, September 19, 2007

1st Day of School 07

Well, nothing stops them. When it's time to go to school, they both head out the door.

Nate left for 5th grade this year, where he is doing very, very well. He has a man for his homeroom teacher, and he and Nate have really hit it off. He thinks the world of Nate, and tells him so at every opportunity. He's told me he really "gets" Nate, and that Nate reminds him a lot of himself at that age. At Nate's school, 5th and 6th graders share portables and classes together, being known collectively as the Upper Team (since they're the "top dogs" of the school). K-2 is the Primary Team, and grades 3-4 are the Middle Team. While the other 2 teams do do some activities together, it is not to the extent that Upper Team does. We fell in love with the Upper Team when Lotti was there, and they are still just as great now. They do a fabulous job of preparing the kids for middle school and, believe it or not, high school. The way they handle the kids' responsibilities (or rather, impress upon the kids how to handle their responsibilities!) and the way they teach has a lot to do with that. Nate is really flourishing and has shown everyone what we've known all along: he's quite creative, extremely smart, and very responsible.

Lotti started her freshman year in high school. Wow. We are all still reeling a bit from that. The high school here uses a schedule somewhat like a college schedule, except that the days simply alternate rather than being a straightforward MWF and TTH. They have what they call Green and Gold days (those are the school's colors), and you alternate days, period. So, if you have Green days on MWF this week, you'll have them on TTH next week and so on. That means she only has 4 classes each day. While she has the same 1st period class every day, the other 3 switch from day to day. I think she really likes the way that works, and she's said she loves her schedule. I have to admit, when I went to Open House (more of a Meet the Teachers night here), I really liked her schedule and her teachers. So, what does she have for her freshman year? More than I did, that's for sure! She has physics, literature (a genre lit class where they cover a variety of topics), culinary arts this semester and photography next semester (they're each one semester courses), Latin (this is her choice for her foreign language...when I was in high school, we could choose French or Spanish!), geometry (which is SO different from when I was in high school...I thought I'd be able to help her some with this, but it's not at all like when I had it...who knew geometry could change???), world history (her favorite subject), and band. Since the whole high school eats lunch at the same time, she gets to eat with a bunch of the kids from youth group at church, and she really enjoys that too.

They're growing up! But they're doing it so well!!

No comments: