Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Thoughts on a Wednesday

So....this cancer thing.....yeah.

I continue to try and wrap my head around it.  Most days, I can almost convince myself it's happening to someone else....until I feel the pull of the glue they used to suture my port incision closed.....or accidentally bump the lump....or cough and feel the port catheter residing in my neck.  Then it becomes all too clear that I am the one in the middle of this....I am the one who has somehow contracted this disease, been given this diagnosis, become a woman with a label I never sought or wanted.

I have friends who've mentioned that I am now part of an exclusive club no one wants to join.  I believe that is called "understatement."

So....how do I deal with this?  How do I survive emotionally and mentally as I traverse what promises to be a very long road?  Like I have done all my life: with perseverance grounded in my relationship with my Savior. 

Writing has always been a way for me to process my thoughts and feelings....to express, even if only to myself, my fears, frustrations, joys, victories and defeats.  Often I have shared those thoughts with others, and often I find that in that sharing, others express their own identification with my personal struggles.  In that shared experience, we are then able to aid and strengthen one another.  It is my hope and prayer that that will be the case with the posts I'll make to this blog over the course of this journey.  

Please know that if you choose to follow me on this journey, or come alongside me, you will hear my heart.  You will hear the anguish when I have a "dark night of the soul." You may hear despair, sorrow, pain, and fear.  But you will also hear joy, encouragement, hope, and my testimony of my Father's faithfulness.  Because it is through His strength alone that I will not only survive but thrive through this experience.

If you are up for a wild and crazy ride....if you want to get an up close and personal look at one woman's journey through cancer....if you are open to hearing my hurts and heartaches alongside my continued praise of and faith in my Savior......I  invite you to join me.  It won't all be pretty, but it will be unforgettable.

Resting in His Everlasting Arms,
Sherri

7 comments:

J said...

Definitely keeping you in prayer.
Judy Fife
"Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

Sherri said...

Thanks, Judy! This is one of my favorite verses!

Unknown said...

Thinking about you on this Friday afternoon, Sherri. I pray for answers and knowledge of exactly what you're fighting. The hardest time for me was when things like spread, kind, etc were unknown. It was better when I knew exactly what I was up against and was able to put on my fightin' tutu.
Love, Jenn Neil

Sherri said...

Love, love, LOVE the idea of a "fighting tutu," Jenn! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. The waiting has been the hardest part throughout, but it's easier waiting on the PET results now that things are in line.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherri,

Wishing you all the best. I will not pretend that I know what you are going through nor would I want to experience your difficult journey. That was so kind of you to donate your hair. You always had beautiful hair.

B said...

Love the hair, do you feel lighter :-)
B

Sherri said...

Thanks, Anonymous and B. Donating was an easy way to have a small amount of control, and hopefully, someone else will benefit from my loss. I do feel lighter, B - which is weird!