Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Verse of the Day - Timely as ever!!

Somehow I missed this verse, which was yesterday's verse of the day on my phone:

"If I should say, 'My foot has slipped,' Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up. When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19

Today, a writer I follow, Glynnis Whitwer, wrote about how this verse spoke to her yesterday (which is also what made me realize I'd missed yesterday's verse somehow).  Among other things, she said:
"What we don’t know doesn’t change our lives. God’s Word, when we read it and apply it to our lives, has the power to change everything."

So here was my takeaway:

1. Yesterday, my foot was definitely slipping.  But even with having missed seeing this verse, I couldn't, and didn't, miss God's lovingkindness and consolations yesterday, provided by so many of you.  I received several beautiful cards with wonderful reminders of God's love and faithfulness; my cousin sent me a beautiful scarf she picked up when she participated in the Race for the Cure....it says, "Warriors in Pink" on the edge, and I will wear it with pride.  These were mailed before I'd even been to talk with the doc, but God in His infinite wisdom and timing knew I would need them yesterday... I would need the reminders that He still held the climbing rope, and He wasn't going to let me go.  And just in case those weren't enough reassurance, after the post went up, the friend who brought our meal spoke words of encouragement to Steve and I; my brother John sent me a text message simply telling me he loved me...so beautiful in its timeliness it brought me to tears; I received encouraging emails from friends reminding me they are praying, and God is faithful. I spent time on the phone with Lotti, who gave me a beautiful thought that was exactly what I needed at that moment (she is such an amazing young lady!!!), and I talked for a long time with Mom and Dad who continued to be the bulwarks of support they've been all along.  God used so many yesterday to remind me that though my foot may slip, He's not going to let me fall.  Thank you all for being so faithful to His leading when He prompts you to send a note of any kind...they do make a difference, and they always arrive at a time when I really need the reminder.

2. I loved the sentence Glynnis used - "What we don’t know doesn’t change our lives." On the surface, this sounds wrong, but what I took from it was that the things we don't know - like for me, whether this cancer is a 3 or a 4 - don't change who we are.  They don't change the trajectory of where we're going, even though it may feel and seem that way.  God knows, even when we don't, ALL that will happen in ALL our days - nothing is a surprise for Him even when it is for us.  His plan doesn't change even when we learn things that surprise, startle, shock, stun, or cause us to stagger.  We can take great comfort in that.  Her next sentence, "God’s Word, when we read it and apply it to our lives, has the power to change everything," gives us that perspective - His Word is what reminds us of how well in hand He has everything, even when we can't see it or perceive it.  What a mighty God we serve!!

In case you want to add the Verse of the Day to your phone, the app is YouVersion.  I love it!  They have the entire Bible in multiple translations, devotional reading plans in varying lengths of time, videos, and that wonderful verse of the day - all for free.  It is available for both Android and Apple (and maybe Windows too - I know I can get it on both my Android phone and my Kindle Fire), and is a wonderful 21st century method of accessing the Word whenever and wherever you are!  How cool is that??

I continue to be amazed at all God is teaching me, all He is using to remind me of His great faithfulness and ability to care for me.  As the verse said, "Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up....Your consolations delight my soul."  Amen, amen, and amen again!

So in love with our great and gracious God, so thankful for His abundant thoughts toward me,
Sherri

2 comments:

Dad and Mom said...

God's timing is never off..as you continue to find out.
Every since you were diagnosed you have shared how things have happened at certain times and each time it was His time.
You needed this verse on Tuesday not Monday..Praise our Lord

Love your insights on the scripture,
Love and Prayers as always Dad/Mom

Sherri said...

Thanks, Mom....I can definitely see His timing in this!!