Saturday, December 19, 2015

Advent 2015: Mary's Peace


“And Mary said: ‘My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.’”  Luke 1:46-47

“I am the True Vine….”  John 15:1
 
Change.  It’s inevitable.  I have often hated that.  It seems as if just as soon as I get comfortable with something, it changes.  But God often uses change to bring about His purposes; and even more often, He uses unexpected change to bring us to a place of seeing how marvelous His sovereignty is in all our circumstances.  Mary could preach a sermon on that.

Mary was, by all accounts, an average teenager in her day.  She likely had her friends and her chores; she had recently been betrothed.  Life was following the normal, expected route for a Jewish young woman in her time and culture.  Generally speaking, life appears to have been pretty comfortable for Mary.  Then, God sent an angel to disrupt her routine - to change the expectations she had for the direction her life was headed.  The angel told her that she had been chosen to become pregnant with God’s Son.  And while he gave her plenty of comfort, he didn’t say a word about Joseph; he didn’t say a word about her parents; he didn’t say a word about her village.  Mary had no idea if Joseph would accept her or this turn of events; she had no idea what her parents would say; she had no idea how her village would respond to her news.  So although she was willing to surrender to God’s Will, she had no word from the angel about specifically what that Will would mean for her in the near (or distant) future.  

When I was in high school, unwed pregnant teens were shunned; they were whispered and gossiped about; they were pointed to as examples of what happens when you don’t wait for sex until you were married.  They became pariahs, losing everything.  I can’t imagine that things were that different in Mary’s day - if anything, they were probably worse.  So I can only imagine how, once the angel left, Mary may have begun to question several things: “Did that really just happen?  Did the angel really just say I am going to be pregnant, and with God’s Son?  What does that mean?  How will I tell my parents?  What will I say to Joseph??  What if none of them believes me?  What have I done by saying ‘yes’ to this?”  Everything Mary knew about her life had changed in an instant - and while she surely trusted God, I can’t help but believe that there were moments when things were also scary for her.  But God, in His wisdom and sovereignty, had provided for her even in this.

Luke 1:39 says, “At that time, Mary arose and went in a hurry to the hill country, to a city of Judah.”  In the Greek, “at that time” literally means, “day.”  So, as soon as the angel left, that same day, Mary left to go visit Elizabeth.  This was a trip of 80-100 miles, and would have taken her three to five days depending on how she traveled (although we do know she hurried!).  The angel, as part of his words to comfort Mary, had said that her cousin Elizabeth was also pregnant, even though pregnancy was thought to be an impossibility for Elizabeth.  Mary saw in Elizabeth a kindred spirit - one with whom she could talk candidly and in whom she could find complete understanding.  And Elizabeth didn’t let her down.

The Bible says that when Mary entered the house, calling out to Elizabeth, “[Elizabeth’s] babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.” (v. 41).  Mary had not told her about the angel’s visit yet, but Elizabeth, through the Holy Spirit, immediately recognized that Mary was pregnant with God’s Son.  And after Elizabeth’s words of greeting and recognition, Mary began her wonderful song of praise: “My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God, my Savior.”  No matter what anxiety she may have felt, Elizabeth’s words gave Mary the comfort and confirmation she needed, and her song is not only one of joy, but one of peace.

Today’s Advent candle represents Peace.  Mary shows us that peace is a state we can live in even when we don’t have all our T’s crossed or I’s dotted.  Elizabeth’s words were undoubtedly comforting to Mary; they definitely gave her confirmation that what she’d heard was true.  But none of that answered the question of what to tell her parents; what to say to Joseph; how she would be accepted in her village.  Yet her song continues with, “For the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is His name” (v. 49).  Here she was, a young woman who was definitely pregnant, definitely a virgin, and definitely betrothed.  But even with all the unanswered questions, Mary put her trust completely in God, recognizing Him as the True Vine, and abiding in Him.  She rested in His peace, even going so far as to say He had “done great things” for her!  She trusted that He would take care of her, no matter what happened.  And it was because of that deep trust that she was able to stand in Peace in the days ahead, resting in the providence of the True Vine.  Because, as we know, those days ahead weren’t easy.

I love how God always has a plan, even when we can’t see it.  Elizabeth and Zachariah waited for years for a child; but God knew exactly the right time for that pregnancy to take place.  Mary, in surrendering to God’s call on her life, went from “betrothed to a righteous man” to “unwed teen” in a heartbeat; but God knew “the plans [He had] for [her]...plans for welfare and not for calamity to give [her] a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).  All it took was abiding in that Vine, trusting His sovereignty, to experience the Peace that only He can give.

Father, too often I fight against change - any change!  You are always good, and You always have my best in mind.  I know that - but I don’t always live like I do.  Remind me that, while I may not hear about impending changes from an angel, You are never surprised by anything that comes into my life.  Give me the strength to abide in You no matter how things look, no matter what people say, and to step out in faith, trusting You when I hear You call.  Thank you for Mary - may I experience the same Peace as I follow You.

Thankful that while things around me change, You never do,
Sherri

No comments: