Yesterday, I wanted to get on to post something, but I had a massive headache, probably due to little sleep the night before and having to miss my morning tea (and thus my morning dose of caffeine) due to the PET scan. They put you on a high protein, no carbs or sugar, diet for 24 hours prior to the PET scan. The only thing you can drink is water. So, yesterday morning when I got up, I was mentally bemoaning the fact that I had so few choices, and especially bemoaning the fact that I couldn't have my morning tea. But then I thought, "Hey, wait....this is turning into a whine-fest. I've got to turn this around." So, I decided to institute something I figure I will use a lot in the next year. I'm calling it, "One Bad Thing, One Good Thing."
For each bad thing I want to whine about, I have to find one good thing to say too. I know there will probably be a lot I will want to gripe about as this year progresses, but I don't want it to be my focus, and I want to keep the bad stuff in perspective.
So yesterday, as I came to this conclusion, I was able to find something good in my weird diet: it was only for 24 hours. That helped me remember that although my diet was very limited, there are people around the world who would still consider those limits a feast since they have much less choice than I do....and that won't change for most of them in 24 hours. Clean water is a luxury for many. So, as bad as my "one bad thing" was to me, it still wasn't nearly as bad as life in general is for many in the world.
I am very thankful to live in a place with so many choices. May I never forget how truly blessed I am.
With gratitude for choices and great doctors,
Sherri
Saturday, April 18, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's a really good point. Sometimes we whine about our "first-world problems" and don't even stop to consider the misery that others are facing all over the world. Though it isn't fun to fast for a day or miss caffeine in the morning, it isn't so bad when you put it into perspective with other people's problems. You can always say "it could be worse".
Quite right!
Post a Comment