I've had several people ask me what the fact that I'm cancer-free means. "Does that mean you won't have to do radiation? Does that mean you won't have to do any more non-ooky chemo?" The answer to both is "no." I will still have to do radiation (although it might be less than 5 weeks worth, we'll have to wait and see), and I will still have non-ooky chemo through April. The best analogy I can give is antibiotics. You have to complete your antibiotics even when you feel better for them to complete the job. In my case, the radiation and chemo are maintenance which is supposed to keep me cancer free.
Keep in mind that while the fact is that there is no cancer left in my body, the medical community won't say that officially for 5 years. That's another reason for the radiation and chemo to continue - it is recognized medical best practice.
My surgical oncologist wants me to have a month to heal before starting radiation. Her office puts in the call to the radiology dept. as a referral, which she said they would do last week. Then radiology will contact me to set up a pre-radiology appt, where I will meet my radiology oncologist. S/He will have reviewed all notes from the surgical and medical oncologists and will make a recommendation for when to start radiation and how many weeks to do. Right now, it looks like radiation will start mid-Octoberish, but I won't have firm dates until I meet with the radiology oncologist. I will post the date of the pre-radiology appt once I know it.
Thank you all again for all your prayers. I'm not sure I've fully accepted the fact that I'm cancer free yet - I still wake up and have to pinch myself! Our God has done "exceedingly abundantly beyond all we could ask or imagine" as I personally never expected this outcome prior to radiation. I stand in awe of God's magnificent healing for me....I don't know why He chose me to heal when so many others don't get that, but I am thankful for His healing hand on me. I have to wonder if those Jesus healed while He was here on earth felt the same way, and how long it took them to stop pinching themselves when they woke up each day. I can guarantee you they never took their days or health for granted...I have a new appreciation for both.
Continuing to praise His name,
Sherri
No comments:
Post a Comment